CAGS is pleased to announce the 2019 Award for Excellence and Innovation in Enhancing the Graduate Student Experience (GSE Award).
An innovative graduate school can make a significant impact in the lives of its students. In addition to granting degrees, today’s graduate schools are responsible for providing a supportive and accessible learning environment, and for fostering creativity and research excellence at the highest levels. Graduate schools that embrace new methods and approaches to learning can empower students to transform their worlds.
The purpose of the GSE Award is to recognize and reward programmatic excellence in enhancing the experience of graduate students from recruitment through degree completion.
Applications are now being accepted from all CAGS member institutions. The deadline for submissions is April 30, 2019.
GSE Award Guidelines:
- The GSE Award focuses specifically on co-curricular or administrative innovations and excellence. Applications may relate to any facet of the graduate education process, including programs and initiatives that address accessibility, financial issues, physical and mental health, inclusion, prejudice and violence.
- An applicant must be a CAGS member graduate school.
- CAGS will accept only one application from each member institution. The internal selection process at each institution is the responsibility of the Graduate School Dean or comparable official.
All Application Packages Must Include:
- An application letter from the Graduate School Dean or comparable official.
- The letter should describe the program or initiative being nominated and explain in broad terms the innovation(s) that it makes to graduate education. Comments on the internal process used to select the program or initiative are also welcome.
- A word document (500–1500 words) or short video that showcases the program or initiative being nominated.
- The document or video should describe all pertinent innovation(s) in graduate programming and provide information about challenges and successes that have been encountered.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to include relevant data and performance metrics in their document or video.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to include testimonials from current and former students in their application package.
- Applicants may submit publicity materials related to the program or initiative being nominated. These materials can include (but are not limited to): website pages; video links or files; photographs; local news media coverage; social media posts and activities, etc.
- Application packages will be reviewed by a panel of senior administrators.
- Each application package will be judged according to the following criteria:
- The 2019 GSE Award includes an official certificate and an invitation to attend the CAGS annual meeting in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in November 2019. The winning program or initiative will also be presented in a workshop form at the annual meeting.
- Application packages and all supporting documents must be submitted to CAGS no later than April 30, 2019.
- Submissions and questions should be sent via email to email@example.com.
- Please include “GSE Award” in the subject line.